Le Sucre Du Patisserie

I still remember the first time I saw such lovely macarons and can't wait to lay my hands on it, only to find out it is only available in Indonesia. I'm quite sure a number of you felt the same way when you first saw the pictures circulating on Facebook. Those lovely macarons are from Le Sucre Du Patisserie. They first started their online shop in Indonesia and are currently expanding to a few countries. They have opened up to Singapore's market not long ago. My sis came across it when they were on offer and decided to order a box of their macarons. It cost $40 for a box of 6 macarons. Designs were given out at random and only ONE fixed flavour is available. 


The namecard was pasted on top of the box.



When the macarons arrived, I was pretty disappointed with the packaging. I kind of expect it to be in those pretty boxes you see on their instagram but it just came in a normal looking plastic box. Never mind, what matters is the inside right? So I went ahead and took a bite off one of the macarons. When I took my first bite, I was like "OMG!" (Not in a good kind of way) It was so stale! It was so hard and dry that when I throw on the table, you could hear a loud thump (I kid you not!) The chocolate ganache filling inside tasted kinda weird and it was so oily. It was so oily till you don't have to worry about staining the sides of your box cause it refuses to stick either. The horror was not over after swallowing. You get this perfumery aftertaste from the macaron. That got to be the worse macarons I've ever eaten. My two sisters, mum and dad tried and couldn't stand the taste of it. My younger sis even spit it out on the sink. (P.S all of us shared one macarons.)

The next day, my sis's friend came over to our house. To prove that it's not just us, we offered the macaron to my sis's friend and ask her how was it. She's not a fussy eater and eats everything that is given to her. And by everything I meant ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. As long as it's food, she would eat it. She took her first bite and didn't want to finish it. She said that it "tasted like soap". 

So, I decided to test it further. I gave one of the macaron to my friend. At first bite, she said overall it tasted okay, just the perfume taste spoiling the whole flavour. But the more she eats it, the more she feels like she's eating laundry soap. She thought she could finish it but in the end, she couldn't take it anymore and threw it away.

Verdict: I don't think it's just me or my family. The macarons really tasted horrible.

The story doesn't end here thou. My sis decided to contact the seller to give her feedback as well as to ask if it's possible to exchange for the remaining macarons as we don't think that's how the macarons are suppose to taste. Here comes the annoying part. The seller was slow to response and her response wasn't very nice. She told my sis that it was suppose to taste like this and no one has complained about the taste before, we were the first one. She said they only made it when there is an order so it is freshly baked. After much discussion, the seller agreed to do an exchange with the remaining macarons but we have to either pay $12 for the delivery fee or head down to boon keng for the exchange, Since we are leaving in the west, it is really far and out of our way to head to boon keng for the exchange and $12 is really expensive for a delivery charge to exchange the item. We tried to negotiate with the seller but to no avail. After much consideration, we've decided to forgo the exchange as we were afraid that it would still taste the same after exchanging, which would waste more of our money.

What really disappoints us was how the seller handled the situation when problem arises. I then went to the Facebook page of the SG shop, there were a handful of reviews. The thing was, when I read the reviews, I realised that the reviews mainly consists of two extreme sides. You either hate it or you love it. I guess I'm camping towards the "Nope, no more orders from me", that is till someone can convince me otherwise.


Maybe we're just unlucky, receiving the macarons from the bad batch. Maybe it wasn't suppose to taste like that. Guess we'll never find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment