Bingsu

So, I'm a huuuuge fan of desserts! Recently, there has been a huge craze of Bingu. I have decided to jump onto the bandwagon and tried many different "brands" of Bingsu. Bingsu is a Korean shaved ice dessert with sweet toppings such as fruits, condensed milk and Azuki beans. It's kinda like the ice kachang we have here in Singapore.

Nunsaram
The first Bingsu I've tried is from Nunsaram from Westgate. The reason why I gave Bingsu a try was because EVERYONE on my instagram feed was posting pictures of Bingsu and I was curious what's the craze about. So, I've decided to head to Nunsaram Westgate with my family to give it a go.



The menu:

This is what we have ordered:

Green Tea

Pat (Red Bean)


Mango

Blueberry

My fav is the Green Tea. The Mango and Blueberry is good too. I used to order the Mango quite frequently but ordering the mango kinda feels like playing the Russian Roulette. This is because, the staff would pre-cut the mango and expose the mango to the surrounding air. This causes the mango to oxidise, especially when you order it at late evening. This happens to me once when I went there at about 8pm. It was fully oxidised till the mango was kinda mushy. Luckily, the staff allowed me to switch to other flavour. One of the plus point of this shop was, you could ask the staff to let you try one of the mango before placing your order to make sure that the mango served is fresh and not oxidised. So go ahead and knock yourself out with the mango bingsu!
The shaved ice is very fine and light but not much taste to it. I really like the texture of the ice.


O'Ma Spoon
Next, my Bingsu quest continues to O'ma Spoon. O'ma Spoon was introduced to me by my cousin. She said that she preferred O'ma Spoon as compared to Nunsaram. One day, I was in town and decided to try O'ma Spoon. O'ma Spoon is located at 313@Somerset. It is very convenient as the mall is connected to the MRT station.

The menu:





Orders:
Green Tea and Mango

O'ma Spoon's shaved ice has a creamier taste (more milky) but the ice are not shaved as finely as compared to Nunsaram. Having said that, O'ma Spoon's shaved ice are still in the acceptable range. It still has a fine and light texture to it. 
The have two sizes available, the normal size and the one in the cup (on the right of the picture). They have a few variations of toast as their side menu. As you can see from the picture, O'ma spoon uses chocolate drizzle instead of condensed milk.

They've added a new item on the menu! It is the OMG Bingsu! The OMG bingsu is a huge bowl of bingsu which consists of 3 flavours, Injeolme, Green tea and Oreo. You can choose to either opt for 1 or 2 flavours but the choices are fixed only at these three. I've chosen the Green tea and Oreo.

OMG Bingsu
It's good for people who are sharing among a group of friends or people who just can't get enough of one bowl of bingsu! It's more worth it than buying 2 bowls as this huge bowl only cost 22.90 while one bowl of the regular size cost $12.90-$13.90 (depending on the 3 flavours that you choose).

Update: For those of you who really really like the ice only (w/o any topping), you could get a petite bingsu without any topping ($4.90) to enjoy the ice only! (P.S you'll get a lot of judgy face staring at you)



I will update this post whenever I get to try a new bingsu place.

Last updated: 24 June 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment